I hadn’t made this tart crust before, but was very impressed by how easy it came together and how crisp it remained as a shell without requiring a par-baking. I will definitely use it again.
[1 3/4 cups diced leeks, white and light green only – from about 2 large leeks, although I think you can get away with one super-big leek]
3/4 cup diced onion – I used 1/2 chopped red onion
2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil (I needed a tad more)
1 1/4 cups AP flour
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
6 tablespoons butter, diced
2T cold water
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream or 1 C half & half
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups diced ham (1/4 -inch dice; I used about 1/2 pound) I used thick cut Falls Brand bacon – crisped and drained
3/4 cup [1/2 lb grated Gruyere] Swiss cheese
1. Heat a large sauté pan over low heat. Sauté the leeks and onions in the olive oil 30 to 40 minutes until caramelized, occasionally stirring. Remove from heat and cool.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch and one-fourth teaspoon salt. Cut the butter in with a pastry blender, fork or two knives until it is in very tiny bits. Add one egg (a fork works great for this) and mix it until a dough forms. I made crust Dough in the Cuisinart food processor.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 12-inch circle. Place the dough in an 8- 9-inch deep tart pan – press to remove any air bubbles. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. While the quiche shell chills, mix the heavy cream and sour cream in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining three eggs. Add a pinch each nutmeg, salt and pepper and combine to form a batter. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Remove the quiche shell from the refrigerator and spread the leek and onion mixture evenly over the base. Sprinkle the ham or bacon and then the cheese over the onions. Pour in the batter and place the quiche in the oven.
6. Bake until puffed and golden, about 25 to 30 minutes (a deeper pan, such as the one I used, will require up to 30 min. extra baking time). Remove from the oven and cool slightly on a rack until egg sets up. Serve warm or at room temperature.43.624890 -116.214093